Groovy & Wild Films from Around the World

Sunday, February 11, 2018

50 Pages a Night – Vol. 3 (Postmortem readings)

Without one word of a joke, I purchased Patrick Billing's TOR horror paperback “The Quiet” in 1994 – to finally read it twenty-three years later. This novel survived 10 moves, one of the cross-country and one of them completely off of the continent. It not onlhy survived, but remained in very good condition, as would most of the paperbacks in my collection, nearly fifty percent of them sitting in the same scenario “The Quiet” had been in – loved yet unread for years. Some, like “The Quiet”, for decades.

Patrick Billings' horror novel is a whip-snap tale set in the wilds of Yosemite National Park and concerns a park ranger protagonist who tries to figure out why the park's bears are suddenly killing the tourists. And brutally killing, at that – it seems that the bears are almost acting like serial killers. And this is where the story goes into the bizarre, because it looks like there is in fact a serial killer at work here. This novel was such the page-burner that I was suddenly overwhelmed with the idea of consuming all things in the nature-horror sub-genre, and so I immediately called one of the last video stores in Vancouver – Videomatica – and requested that they order a very rare blu-ray edition of William Girdler's cult film Grizzly for me, which I had thoroughly enjoyed when I was in my early twenties.

In the meantime, since 1994, Patrick Billings had passed away. Billings being the author's pseudonym, it was hard for me to track down information about him right away, but eventually I discovered that his real name was Earl Patrick Murray, a prolific crime and western novelist who had also written three horror books, “The Quiet” seemingly the only one under the Billings pen name. Earl Patrick Murray died “suddenly”, according to online obits, in 2003 at the age of 52.

Prior to relieving “The Quiet” from its dust-gathering spot on the bookshelf, I had also freed the late Robert “Psycho” Bloch's 1989 novel “Lori” (purchased by me in 1992 from the discount bin in a U.S. bookstore). Robert Bloch passed away two years after I first purchased his paperback, and again this book moved around with me, unread, for decades. When I finally did crack open this outrageous supernatural mystery-thriller, I became hooked on Bloch and immediately found myself in a used bookstore with a handful of his old TOR paperbacks (some of which I'll talk about in later blog posts on the subject). “Lori”, though, is one of his best, I think, at almost a breakneck pace Bloch takes us through his dark world where doppelgangers, murders, deceit, and nightmare misconceptions abound.

Most recently, I came across a novel titled “The Devouring” in a second-hand bookstore. Again the force of a horror novel consumed my imagination and I proceeded to zealously research the author F.W. Armstrong – only to find out the “The Devouring” was actually the middle book in a short horror series, and that Armstrong was actually a pseudonym for author T.M. Wright, whose cult novel “Strange Seed” is perhaps his best known work. I was a little saddened to see that T.M. Wright had passed away in 2015.

Horror and surreal crime author Tom Piccirlli, who had published several mind-bending experimental horror novels with Leisure Horror, had also passed away from a brutal battle with cancer in 2015 (he was 50). I'd been a big fan of Piccirilli's, having read a lot of his earlier works and horror shorts; and he'd also been the screenwriter, very early in his career, of the underground-independent direct-to-VHS vampire film Addicted to Murder. However, the short novel that had been released four years before his death, “Every Shallow Cut”, was one of his best and most memorable works; the still-experimental narrative now more defined and refined as Piccirlli takes us through an emotionally wrought journey via an emotionally wrought protagonist; almost as if Bukouski had inadvertently wandered into Piccirilli's world of nightmarish noir. “Every Shallow Cut” was the last book I'd read of Piccirilli's, although there is still one more of his on my bookshelf, purchased roughly ten years ago. Maybe I should go and check the dust level on it. 

--V.
 

No comments: